Welcome to the Mobility Program
This program is designed to help people with disabilities access the resources they need and get a reimbursement of up to $1,000* towards the cost of adapting an eligible new Chevrolet, Buick, GMC or Cadillac.
To help you find the equipment and vehicle that’s right for you, we’ve included the information you’ll need and a number of links in the following pages, as well as a helpful overview you can download and keep.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Getting the vehicle you love adapted with the right equipment can be a simple process. To start, we recommend you:
Obtain an evaluation or visit your medical practitioner
First find a driver assessment facility and arrange for a complete evaluation. There are a number of facilities across the country, but if you’re not sure where to find one, you can always get in touch with the Ministry of Transportation or contact us at the GM Mobility Program. Your assessment should include suggestions about your driving and a list of vehicle modification recommendations.
If you already know what kind of adaptive equipment you need, you won’t need an evaluation. Your equipment installer will only need a physician’s authorization form.
Contact the Provincial Ministry of Transportation
In most provinces, people are required to report any changes in their medical status to the Provincial Ministry of Transportation. When you report a change in your medical status, the Ministry may conduct a medical review, and may need to alter your driving privileges for your safety. Also keep in mind that failure to report a change in your medical status may put your driver’s licence status in jeopardy altogether.
To be eligible for a GM reimbursement for up to $1,000,* your adaptive equipment must be:
- Permanently installed in an eligible vehicle
- Installed for a driver or passenger with a permanent disability
- Vehicle conversion must be completed for eligible participants within 12 months of the new vehicle purchase/lease date.
- Regular production options and GM accessories are not eligible for reimbursement.
The following equipment is eligible for reimbursement:
- Automatic Door Opener (when used with lift)
- Assist Handle
- Assist Step
- Transfer Platform
- Wheelchair and/or Scooter Lift
Brake /Accelerator Systems
- Brakes — Reduced Effort
- Brake System — Emergency Backup
- Parking Brake — Push/Pull Control
- Parking Brake — Electric
- Parking Brake — Extension Lever
- Hand Controls
- Servo-Assisted Hand Controls
- Left Foot Accelerator
- Vinyl Seat Cover (Front Seating Area Only)†
- Extended Travel Transfer Seat (non-OEM Only)**
- Safety Belt Extenders
- Adaptive Steering Devices
- Steering Controls
- Foot-Control Steering
- Horizontal Steering
- Steering Column Extension
- Steering System — Emergency Backup
- Steering System — Reduced and Zero Effort
- Driving Consoles for Relocation of Secondary Controls
- Elbow Switches
- Gear Selector Lever for Left Hand
- Power Channels/Power Pan
- Turn Signal Lever for Right Hand
- Wheelchair Tie-Down and/or Lockdown System
Other Vehicle Modifications
- Joystick Driving Systems
- Inverter Installation
- Lowered Floor
- Quad Key Holder/Turner
- Raised Roof/Door (when used with a lift)
- Alert systems
* Eligible Canadian Forces and First Responder personnel and Professional Healthcare Workers will receive a $1,000 bonus (tax inclusive) which will be deducted from the negotiated price of the purchase, lease or finance of eligible new 2020 or 2021 Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac vehicles delivered between January 3rd, 2020 to January 4th, 2021. Excludes Chevrolet Bolt EV. Incentive offer takes place at the time of delivery. Eligible individuals include: Active, reserve and veteran military personnel plus their spouses and surviving spouses; firefighters, police, EMT/paramedics, 911 dispatchers plus their spouses; and nurses, doctors and professional healthcare workers practicing at a Canadian hospital, clinic or nursing/retirement home. Must present proof of present or former membership in the Canadian Forces, valid proof of Canadian First Responder employment/government issued ID, or valid proof of current practice at a Canadian hospital, clinic or retirement/nursing home to be eligible, as applicable. Cannot be combined with certain other advertised lease and finance rates. Dealer may sell for less and order/trade may be necessary. GM Canada may modify, extend or terminate offers in whole or in part at any time without notice. Conditions and limitations apply. See dealer for details.